About 20 families were selected to participate in the third annual Let's Move! Columbia Family Wellness Challenge, a 12-week citywide health initiative that is designed to encourage families - both youth and adults - to lead a more healthy and active lifestyle.
Councilwoman Tameika Isaac Devine, who is spearheading the wellness challenge, welcomed the families and provided an overview of the program during a kick-off celebration on Sunday, May 6 at the Charles R. Drew Wellness Center.
Over the 12-week program, families will track their meals and activities, and participate in a variety of special events throughout the challenge. Participants will receive points in the following categories:
- Exercise program (on their own or at the Charles R. Drew Wellness Center)
- Scheduled group activity
- Attending cooking and nutrition classes
- Attending gardening sessions or planting a garden at home
- Spending time together as a family (sharing or cooking a meal together, attending a special event, exercising, shopping, gardening etc.)
The top three families who log the most points at the end of the challenge will win overall prizes valued at $1,000, $500 and $250.
The Let's Move! Columbia Family Wellness Challenge is made possible through a partnership with the Columbia Parks & Recreation Department, the Charles R. Drew Wellness Center and the SC Department of Health and Environmental Control.
• The Samuels Family, Grand Prize winner (prizes valued at $1,000)
• The Gunn Family, Second Place winner (prizes valued at $500)
• The Suber Family, Third Place winner (prizes valued at $250)
Columbia Parks & Recreation Department
1111 Recreation Drive, Columbia, SC 29201
P: 803-545-3100 | F: 803-343-8744
Do you want to know about all the events, leisure services and everything that is happening in Parks & Recreation? Subscribe to our monthly newsletter, Columbia On the Move!